Friday, January 16, 2009

The Internet Can be a Musician's Best Friend.

One of my many projects is to get my viola back into good condition and start playing again frequently. There is nothing wrong with it, but I need to have it restrung along with some other minor care issues. Currently, I have already cleaned it, and now I have to get new strings for it.

So in my quest of not going broke with my project, I searched online for strings. I remember when I first played my voila, that even the thinnest string (the cheapest) was ten dollars. As the strings got thicker, so did the price. I was incredibly pleased with what I found. Hence the title of this post. Moreover, it has been about five years since I last changed a string, so I looked up how to, which will save me the money from getting someone else to do it. If anyone wants any links to all this, just comment.

It has been said by many that music, well particularly classic music, is a waste of time. Well, I beg to differ. Perhaps my opinion is a bit bias, because I love classical music, but in times of crisis and survival situation, stories and music along with food is how morale is kept up. Moreover, just because an instrument is dubbed as an classical music instrument only, it does not mean it can not play contemporary music.

I like to mention that Music is processed differently than other types of information to your brain. It has been seen many times when an elderly person will cry when they hear a song, but have no idea why. It is because the song is linked to the emotion of the memory.

Stay well and stay warm.

1 comment:

  1. Having a musical ability and the instrument will be a great diversion during any kind of inclement situation in getting your mind off the current problem(s) and, yes, bringing a tear to the eye with the memories incurred with any particular song.
    Bicycling may be the wave of the future for a good many of us, so having one in good shape and the musculature to pedal it will certainly come in handy. Those used to touring with bikes will have a tremendous advantage, IMO.
    Keep up the good works.
    Shy

    ReplyDelete