Sunday, November 30, 2008

Gattaca

On Hulu.com, they are doing a special event called Movies for the Holidays.
Currently, they have the movie Gattaca in its full length. (You all should watch it. It is a good movie!)

This movie scared me a bit, because I know it is pretty much all possible already.

On the side note the word Gattaca comes from the first letters of the hydrogen bonds of DNA.(GATC) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dna

After seeing the movie last night, I came upon this article today in which a school is testing the children via genetics to see which child would be the best for what sports. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/sports/30genetics.html?no_interstitial It seemed like Deja Vu to me.

What do you all think? Is this a way we want to go?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it's dejavu...thee were many stories during the Olympics about how the Chinese are doing this- as do quite a few other countries. Not sure if they're all using DNA, but similar tactics, I imagine.
    Gattica...is that the one with what's-her-name and the asylum where she doesn't know if she's coming or going? Didn't much care for it- or the heroine, but that's just me: I need a more simple plot, like Mercury Rising (uh-huh, sure, Jim!)
    Happy post- Thanksgiving, Shy

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it has Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman (She played in Kill Bill), where the society is completely based on genetics. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/
    If you click on where it says Gattaca in my post it links it to the movie, and has a good summary on the page. I highly recommend watching it, and it is free to watch.(Canon Cameras is sponsoring it, so bear with the few short commercials.)

    ReplyDelete