Monday, April 28, 2008

Dental Plans Versus Dentals Insurance

I should not have to disclaimer myself, but I do not wish anyone to take my opinions and use it against me.

**disclaimer: I am not endorsing or advertising any companies I mention below; therefore can not be held liable for anything. Also, I am basing my opinions upon my own research and can not be held liable for inaccuracy. I do suggest everyone to do their own research. **


This is only about dental plans and dental insurance.
Just to mention, I am not as familiar with other types of medical needs.

I do believe dental plans are better than dental insurance.

Dental plans are basically a discount plan.
They work like your local grocery store cards. (E.g. Kroger’s, Randall’s)
Just like other discount plans, they hope by getting you to join a discount plan will increase your use of a dentist. They have a list of providers that are under the plan at which you will be able to get a discount from.
They emphasis on preventive care. Such as going to the dentist and having your teeth clean on a regular basis, and give you more discounts towards preventive care.
By taking of your teeth early on keep from more expensive problems from forming.
Dental Plan do not dismiss you based on pre-existing conditions which is plus for some people.

However, they do charge a fee in order for you to get a discount.
In addition, you are limited to a list of doctors, but the way to get around that is to pick a plan that includes a more doctors. Also, typically one is locked for the first year, but has the option being month to month afterwards.


Depending on your insurance, it will cover most expenses. However, the problem becomes where your expense become greater than what allowed in the insurance regulations. Say if you insurance only allows two dentist visits, but you have to have a third, because a tooth chipped. It will come out of pocket, and the insurance may overcharge you. There are limitations on what you may have done and who you have to see. With a dental plan, there are not limitations on how much work you can have done. Also, many insurance plans will deny you from benefits if you have a pre-exisiting problems.

My personal opinion is if you have dental insurance as a benefit at work, use it. Your teeth are important, and if you neglect them, problems will become worse. I do think if you have dental insurance then use it would be wise to use it along with a dental plan. That way you are not limited on taking care of the only set of teeth you will ever have. (not counting baby teeth)
By taking care of your teeth will save you money in the run, and you will be able to keep you teeth.

If you do not have a dental insurance, think about getting a dental plan.
I have included some of my favorite plans below.

The first plan is a dental and optical plan. This is good if you constantly need optical care.
http://www.americandentalcareinc.com/

This is dental only.

http://www.dentex.net/dx/

Remember to take care of yourself.

Enjoy and best wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment