Friday, June 19, 2009

Cliff

Really how far is this going to go?

Right now there is talk about regulations and taxes put on sugar products (such as soda) and on tobacco products.

I am not a smoker. I do not consume high qualities of sugar, either. (I like to keep an eye on my health. I see it as a long term investment, and beneficial to surviving longer.)

I do not care if people smoke, as they long do not blow it in my face. I expect to smell smoke at a bar, if I go to one. Don't go to a bar, if you are so offended by it. It is not anyone's place to say what you can or cannot put into your body.

The argument is that sugar and tobacco both cause health problems, therefore causing health costs to increase, and costing too much to upkeep health programs, ergo the necessity for taxes on these products. But, no matter what it stamped out, there is always some type of health problems around. One can say that eating too much meat is bad, so that must regulated as well; or fat is bad, so that should be regulated. It keeps growing.

People know the dangers of all this, just like people know that cliff diving is dangerous and people die, but if they want to, that is their business. Want to charge them for that, too?

If it starts with sugar,it will become like gas and tobacco, where the actual cost of the product is only a small percent of the price. What's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment